Everything you need to know about Canadian visas

To study in Canada, you will need a Canadian Study Permit (or student visa), which, depending on your home country, will be either an Electronic Travel Authorisation (eTA) or a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV).

Canadian Study Permit – this is not a visa, it’s a permit which allows you to study in Canada. If you hold a study permit, you must remain enrolled and make reasonable and timely progress towards completing your course.
Electronic Travel Authorisation (eTA) – this is a recent requirement for visa-exempt, non-U.S. foreign nationals. Your eTA is valid for five years or until the passport you used to apply for the eTA expires (whichever is sooner), and can be used to travel to Canada many times.
Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) – for students who have been accepted into a designated learning institution and are unable to apply for the eTA.

It is important that you make sure you have the correct study permit for your international studies before you leave for Canada.

Ensure you have the right ‘Study Permit’ by getting information from the Canadian immigration authority known as the Immigration, Refugees and Citizen Canada (IRCC). Our team will help you access the latest information and connect you with authorized migration experts.

To find out if you need an eTA or a visitor visa, and how to apply, visit the Government of Canada website.

Applying for your study permit
To apply for your study permit, you will need:

An acceptance letter from your education institution, and
A valid passport or travel document
You must also:
Prove that you have enough money to pay for your:
tuition fees
living expenses for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada, and
return transportation for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada
Be a law-abiding citizen with no criminal record and not be a risk to the security of Canada (you may have to provide a police certificate)
Be in good health (you may need to complete a medical exam)
Convince an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your studies.

To prove you can financially support yourself and any accompanying family members, you may be asked to provide:

Documentation of a Canadian bank account in your name, if money has been transferred to Canada
Documentation of a student/education loan from a financial institution
Bank statements
A bank draft in convertible currency
Proof of payment of tuition and accommodation fees
A letter for the person or institution providing your funding
Proof of funding paid from within Canada if you have a scholarship or are enrolled in a Canadian-funded educational program

You can always come to us for a free counselling session where we can guide you about the entire Canada visa application process including eligibility, fees and processing times.